Wardrobe Consulting Logo

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Beauty is Definitely Within

I am regularly asked to speak to groups, mostly women, about fashion. I while ago, I was asked to participate on a beauty panel with the Chabad of Cary Women's Fellowship Circle. The event was Tuesday evening, and while my experience is fresh on my mind, I thought I would share.

The Cary Chabad is a Jewish learning center that offers all sorts of programs and support for Jewish families in the area. Chana Cotlar and her Rabbinical husband moved here three and a half years ago to start the program. Chana is probably one of the sweetest, most considerate and endearing young women that I have met in a long time. She outwardly expresses her love and zest for life. For those around her, they reap the benefit quickly, as I did the other night.
Despite having a cold and being on cold medicine, I was determined to offer the best of what Wardrobe Consulting was all about. First Helena Herman, Raleigh's orthodox Rabbi's wife spoke on what beauty means for women. Helena is a life coach, and certainly left us all thinking about ourselves from the inside out. Next, the thirty plus women attendees had an opportunity to meet with the each of the four beauty panelists. The other panelists were women that discussed hair and make-up. I greeted and spoke with over ten women (yes, I ran out of time). I marveled at how we, as women, have the same body image and dressing concerns regardless of age, religion or ethnicity. Woman after woman and I talked about embracing parts of our bodies we aren't thrilled with, and redirecting the eye away from those parts of our bodies with certain styles of clothing, color and accessorizing. No surprise to most, my biggest discussion is always about dressing for your lifestyle and how to build that lifestyle wardrobe.

On the way home, I reflected on how much I enjoyed connecting one on one while engaging with women who obviously were passionate about their religious involvement as well as their own inner beauty. I have to say one of my biggest giggles of the night was one of the women asked if I worked with men, and of course I said yes! They were shocked enough to ask what that was like and why the men might need help. I acknowledged that men generally don't have the same body image issues or certainly admit it, but have other agendas when it comes to dress. I reflected on my recent drawer/closet clean out I did for my adult son last weekend. I actually don't think he has thrown anything out since he left for college! It got me thinking...

It really was a wonderful evening and if you are the least bit curious, as I certainly was, about the Chabad of Cary check out their website!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn