Wardrobe Consulting Logo

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

An Opportunity to Dress Up?

Some people hate dressing up in black tie garb, and I know for sure that tuxes are referred to as 'monkey suits' by some. Are you one of them, or do you know someone who would have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to any event that requires a tux? Stay tuned, I'm about to show you how you can wear nice clothes and do good in the world.

I was flipping through Wake Living magazine to show someone my most recent article, and noticed that it's ball season again. And every ball has a great cause. The Big Bad Ball on Sept 29 supports the Hospice of Wake County. The Fur Ball is Oct 7, supporting the SPCA. The Paint it Pink Gala is Oct 25, supporting breast cancer research and awareness. The Raleigh Round-Up is Nov 9 and supports the American Cancer Society's Raleigh Office. Starting to get the picture?

I'm always torn - do I go to the ball because it's worthwhile to support the cause, or because it's fun to dress for black tie events? The answer is a little of both. I donate auction items regularly to causes I believe in, and attend the galas I want to and have time for. The opportunity to wear clothes I normally don't get to wear is also appealing to me.

So what do you do when you have black tie or cocktail obligations and a limited budget? The reality of purchasing something you may wear only once or twice is a tough for some, and if you have strong feelings about not wearing the same dress at several events during a short period of time, it can be nearly impossible. Shopping an upscale consignment boutique is certainly something you should start now to beat the rush and spread out purchases over time. Other options are hosting a cocktail/black tie clothing swap, shopping at the Junior League's A Shopping Spree, or visiting Rent the Runway.

What do you wear to black tie events? Maybe I'm way off the mark, and the average person doesn't do black tie or cocktail dresses anymore...?

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn